food tray

food tray

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Short Introduction

To those of you who do not know me, my name is Elaine Garmon and I'm a 41 year old mom of three awesome kids.  Elise is 11, Patrick is 9, and Celia is 6.  About a year ago I started writing (on Facebook) about my experiences volunteering as a "lunch buddy" in the cafeteria of my children's school.   I called my posts 'Quotes from the Cafeteria.'  I began to get a lot of positive feedback from my Facebook friends telling me that they loved my posts and even looked forward to my stories and quotes.  I felt pretty good about that because normally it's just my mom saying these things.  I even had a few people tell me that I should write a book (totally overwhelming), make a calendar (less daunting, but not really my thing), or start a blog (bingo!).

Let me start by filling you in on the job description of a lunch buddy. I know it's hard to believe, but being a lunch buddy is not as glamorous as some of you may think.  It is not a job for the faint of heart nor the weak of stomach.  The primary function of a lunch buddy is to walk around the cafeteria opening things for children who cannot open them. The most important attributes of a successful lunch buddy, therefore, are strong hands (the larger and more man-like the better), a good pair of scissors, and the aforementioned strong stomach.  

I began volunteering because I knew that the cafeteria was over crowded and the PTA was in need of volunteers.  I found that I really liked volunteering in the cafeteria and interacting with the kids. I almost always leave the cafeteria laughing to myself or shaking my head in wonder.  It is a cliche to say that kids say the funniest things, but as you may know, it's very true.  In my opinion, kids are hysterical, complex, witty, strange, and uninhibited beings.  They make me laugh and they make me consider things I have never considered before.  I believe that we can learn a lot from them if we take the time to listen (what's that, Elise?  Not now honey, I'm writing my blog).

Becoming a lunch buddy is also a great way to get to know the school through its most important people, the students.   Often, I notice patterns and themes arising in the cafeteria, whether it be a lots of spills day, or a rowdy, can't keep my hands off my neighbor day, or even a "I have to go to the bathroom NOW!" day.   Some days it seems like all the kids are talking about a newly released movie or a new fad (rainbow loom for example) and for some reason there are those days where there seems to be a disproportionate amount of tears (my least favorite kind of day).   It is always changing and there are rarely dull moments.

So here it is.  I can't promise that I'll only write about cafeteria duty, but I can promise that when I do I will always keep the kids and teachers as anonymous as possible.  Except for you, Mrs. Burnette.  I'm spilling it all ;)  Seriously though, all children's names are changed or simply not used.   My own three children will not be kept anonymous, as much as they wish that were the case.  I consider it a parental duty to help them see the funny in their worlds, while stopping short of total public humiliation.  My intention for this blog is for it to be a funny, positive look at what goes on with our kids every day in the cafeteria.  What they say, what they think, what they wear, what they drop on the floor and then pick up and put in their mouths.   I hope you enjoy it and I hope it helps you to see the funny in your world, too.

-Elaine

1 comment: